3/15/13

An Obsession

I've always loved fancy dresses. Especially fantasy ones. Since I don't have any need for a 'prom' type dress, I decided to make my own dress. This one will be very much on the fantasy side. I have never done much sewing so this will be quite the project. Fortunately I have a friend up the road who is very good at this type of thing.

As it just so happens I have a conference to attend in June that ends with a dance. So, if I finish in time, I may just have something to wear the dress to after all.

Without further ado, this is what I'm planing on doing:

I've seen a lot of Maid Marion's outfits around the Internet, and this dress in-particular caught my eye. So when I decided to make a fantasy dress I new exactly what my inspiration would be.

At the moment I'm planning on using this pattern, McCall's 4491.

 
I am going to make two dresses, both sleeveless. A scarlet colored one and a grey colored one. I will probably attach them together at the neck and arms. In the grey dress I'm going to leave one of the seams along the front open and lace it part of the way. Then I'm going to make the long, flowy sleeves. The outside of the sleeves I'm going to do grey and the inside the scarlet color. I will then put in eyelets around the sleeve holes and make the sleeves detachable.
 
What do y'all think? Are any of you expert sewers and can give me some advise? I'm started to be very daunted by the size of this project! However I do have some dear friends I can call on if I get stuck.


1 comment:

Grace said...

Oooh! I love it! A dance + a new dress?! lucky girl. Hope it all goes well for you, m'dear. ;) xx